Reframing the Interface // Through the Medium : Smoothing Stop Motion

/
0 Comments
Due to the hot conditions of our room during the stop motion shoot it meant our character and set would often melt, and time had to be spent fixing this every so often, for continuity purposes as we didn't shoot the scenes in a linear manner. However, there was only so much we could do to get it looking similar throughout, so we thought to assist this we would fix things up ever so slightly in post. This was a really subtle thing, done only on shots that had patches that were really messed up and required a bit of fixing. I wanted to make sure Clay's textured skin was still on show though, and the indentations and changes as an effect of us touching / moving him could still be visible in order to contrast with the very smooth CGI universe. 

To do this I used NukeX, using the blur tool. This allowed me to focus on only particular areas that needed attention, and change the opacity of the blur to low so as the smoothing was very slight. I'd never used NukeX before, so this was a learning experience for me and I now feel more confident using the software. 

Before
After

Here is a time lapse of my working method, as I smooth each frame :



You may also like

No comments: