Professional Toolkit : Studio Shoot - My Role (First Assistant Director) Research

/
0 Comments

An assistant director is someone who "assists" the director to organise and plan a project / film. Basically they offer support and are a right hand person to the director, so that he/ she are allowed to focus more on the creative side of the film making process. However as pointed out by the book 'Running the Show: The Essential Guide to Being a First Assistant Director' by Liz Gill, "An assistant director...is very different from an assistant to the director. An 'Assistant to' can end up doing practically anything the director wishes, from the most personal errands such as picking up laundry...to making dinner reservations"

Running the Show (2012) // Liz Gill

The book states that 'Without a first AD...you won't have a schedule or a communication system, and without these two things there's no show,' thus demonstrating the importance of the role. 

Based on various research from online and the book just mentioned, I have picked out the specific jobs that a first AD carries out :
  • Directs the background action
  • Supervises crowd control
  • Maintains good communication between the director and crew
  • Motivates cast and crew 
  • Making things happen in the most efficient way 
  • Planning the schedule and making sure it is followed properly
  • Supervising 2nd and 3rd ADs and runners

Skills Required of a 1st AD
  • Good communicator
  • Good motivator - being positive
  • Good with working in a team
  • Approachable
  • Organised 
  • Be able to multitask 
  • Authoritative 
  • Flexible
  • Calm under pressure
  • Problem solving

Initially when taking on the role, I thought I knew what the job entailed, but after researching it further I have found that it is a lot more important and necessary than I previously thought. I think I got confused, assuming the role was somewhere between the actual description of the Assistant Director and Assistant TO the Director - assisting the director when they need help, but not being as loud. However now that I know exactly what to do, I am very interested to see how I cope with all the jobs and I think I'll find this very challenging due to the fact the AD seems to take a big role in communicating on set - something that I am not so good with but really aim to try and improve. I'm hoping that I'll learn a lot from being first AD and grow my confidence with speaking out more and expressing my opinions and advice in order to help the director and rest of crew. 


You may also like

No comments: